Jacobus Energy got its start in January, 1919 as Wauwatosa Fuel & Supply Company. Headed by C.C. Jacobus and his son Delwin, its business purpose was “buying, selling and dealing in coal, animal feed and building or other supplies.” Two teams of horses and five employees rounded out the organization.
In the 1930’s, the business expanded into hauling cement and coal. It grew dramatically in the 1940’s, selling retail and wholesale coal, coke, petroleum products, wood and wood fuels. Taking advantage of the building boom that occurred after World War II, the company also sold construction materials such as brick, stone, tile, lumber, and cement.
As Milwaukee expanded into the suburbs in the 1950’s, the Jacobus Company grew with it, under the direction of Delwin (D.C.) Jacobus. Homes built in outlying areas without gas lines all relied on oil-fired equipment, and Quickflash delivered oil to tens of thousands of customers.
Delwin’s son, Charles D. Jacobus, Sr., continued to grow the business. Under his vision and leadership, the Jacobus Company experienced major growth during the 1960’s and 70’s. The company expanded rapidly, acquiring more than 20 heating oil companies in the 1970’s alone.
The 1980’s marked the Jacobus Company’s entry into several new markets and services. In 1986, the company pioneered its first automated fueling site for commercial vehicles. The concept was an instant success, and Quick Fuel was born. Quick Fuel expanded rapidly into other Midwestern and Southern states and is now a leader in commercial fueling.